Sunday, January 13, 2013

Bienvenidos a Cádiz

¡Hola!
After more than 24 hours of traveling (three planes and one bus) we arrived here yesterday around 6pm local time, just as the sun was setting over the water.  As we crossed the bridge from the mainland to the city, a double rainbow appeared behind us.  No, it was not "all the way across the sky" but it seemed like a good sign nonetheless.  I met my host mom and dad right as we got off of the bus and they took me to their apartment, which was only about two minutes from the plaza.  My host dad offered to carry my bag, something I think he probably regretted after carrying all 49 pounds of it to the third floor of the building.  I met some of the family right away, including their adorable little grandson, who has the chubbiest cheeks I have ever seen.
After some socializing, I unpacked, showered, ate some 'tortilla española' (like an omlette, but a million and a half times better) and hit the sack.  For twelve hours.
When I finally forced myself out of bed around noon, I met up with a couple of other students to go explore and see what this "Cortemar" festival was all about.  Basically, it's free 'ostiones' (like oysters) and beer and some musical groups perform and everybody goes out into the street to celebrate the beginning of Carnaval.  Yes, the beginning of Carnaval, which is like the week of Mardis Gras.  All I could think was, "Man, these people really know how to prepare for Lent."
Later we made our way to the "Barrio de la Viña" for more festivities.  A samba group was playing drums and everyone was dancing and drinking in the street.  When you're done with your cerveza or whatever your drink of choice is, you just throw it on the ground.  As a born-and-raised Seattlite, it just breaks my heart...but what can ya do.  We followed the samba band around the streets for a while, then tried to find our way back to our respective houses without looking like complete English-speaking, map-wielding tourists.
So far it's been a whirlwind, but I'm getting used to the language, the city, and my house pretty quickly.  It's become clear that I'll need to buy a leather jacket (why did I leave that at home?!) because almost everyone was wearing one today, and I felt a little out-of-place in my big blue north face jacket.  Also, it looks like everyone loves a 'bufanda' (scarf) around here, so my scarf addiction will be well-fed.
Tomorrow is the first day of orientation, I almost forgot that I actually have to go to school still, whoops.
Here's to five months in Cádiz!
¡Salud!

If you're interested in a video of the samba band in the street, CLICK HERE!


No comments:

Post a Comment